Friday, November 21, 2014

Week 7: Learner Autonomy, the One-computer Classroom, and Mobile Devices

The new educational techniques which show us how easy and fun technology application can be.

I started my week with lots of reading material and an enriched mind through every word that passed through my eyes. I felt the need to continue researching more about the given topics and I realized I am a living proof of how interactive and technology enhanced education can change your perspective towards education.  It helps you become more confident and at the same time you develop a sense of responsibility towards your goals and the ones of your peers. I then came to the conclusion that "The way I'm learning, is the way I have to teach". Every word that came to my mind during this whole entire process came back to remind me how reflective this experience is and above all how great it feels to understand that you have already learned what you were seeking.

The first task.

I started reading about learner autonomy and I understood that the main focus of motivating students and making them more eager to learn, is to teach them something they can apply right away, and so I did. I started to prepare a Sample Activity / Lesson Plan which meant to create all this effects in my students. Primarily considering the recommendations that both Robert Godwin-Jones from Virginia Commonwealth University and Hayo reinDers Head of Language and Learning Support at Middlesex University in London give in their articles, I clearly understood that using mobile phones in the classroom ."gives students control over their own learning" It all sound great to me. 

I had used mobile devices in the development of mainly receptive skills and sometimes throughout productive skill building, but after I had read and understood all the points carefully mentioned in the articles, the ideas just started popping out of my head and I decided to apply them right away.

The Padlet.
Learning about the existence of a tool like Padlet, gave me better ideas to implement in my final project. I started searching for new related articles and realized that I was doing what the reading had told me students should do, I was becoming practicing and developing Learner Autonomy. I felt more motivated, I was eager to continue reading and learning. This tool helped me realize how to create this same response in my students.

Finding a Partner.
This was an easy task, of course all we needed to do was pair up, but at the end I started reading more about my peers and finding similarities between some of them and myself. I decided to go with Sasi Raj from India (A Smart Choice). While I visited her blog and read her posted tasks, I found our common goals and I saw we share similar views towards our Final Project. 

Technology Related Change in Process.
Classes at Smart Step, my current work place.
This week was fantastic, I am actually seeing motivation increase. It was amazing. We finished our Web Quest and everything came out as planned. The only special situation was that, one of my students hadn't understood the purpose of the lesson initially, but as soon as we clarified it, she was ready to go and our group helped her understand, which was one of the purposes of my project. So today I can say that the method I'm willing to implement can effectively enhance motivation and foster cooperative and collaborative learning environments.

Great Week and Excellent Results.

Regards and Best Wishes.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sergio,

    Going through your blog, it seems both you and your students are having a great time implementing technology.

    I liked your WebQuest very much and am sure that you will successfully lead your students to its conclusion. This activity will definitely encourage your students to know more and will help them to become autonomous learners.

    Your ideas and discussion points are always very thoughtful and fresh! Great job!

    Sharmila from India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sergio,

    It seems like you have a hot week with your students.

    I share your enthusiasm about Padlet wall. Great tool and so easy to use.
    I think you can us it as a follow-uo activity when you finish with WebQuest.

    Good luck with your project.

    Marina,
    Kyrgyzstan

    ReplyDelete